The fundamentals of caring for you, your family, and your child with mental illness.
NAMI BASICS is a free new education program for parents and other care givers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective.
These elements include:
* Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
* Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
* Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
* Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support
* Empowerment of caregivers as effective advocates for their children
The NAMI BASICS education program includes the following components:
* Seven 2 1/2 hour classes of instructional material, discussions and interactive exercises
* A section of the NAMI website dedicated to disseminating information, including informational videos and resources for the program
* In addition to the core six classes, additional topic modules will be available for independent presentations
How do I register?
Call the NAMI Hunterdon (908) 284-0500
You MUST pre-register for these classes! If no classes are available, we keep a waitlist and when a class opens up we will call you to ask if you can attend the class.
Note: Website may not be up to date, please call the helpline for a complete list of classes.
Dates: Sept 16 – Oct 28, 2014
Day of Week: Tuesdays
Time: 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Location: Bridgewater United Methodist Church
Address: 651 Country Club Road, Bridgewater, NJ 08807